Monday, November 21, 2005

week 8 analysis

One thing that I found interesting from the reading was a statement made on page 53 of Globalization & Culture, “[Hybridization] subverts nationalism because it privileges border-crossing. It subverts identity politics such as ethnic or other claims to purity and authenticity because it starts out from the fuzziness of boundaries.” This seems to me a good thing, because of my thoughts on nationalism and all. It also seems to pose a challenge to the church, seeing as how our task is to create a corporate identity that forms our political allegiance.

Since we’re getting so close to the end, I wanted to focus on what may get into our wiki. I want to give you guys a heads up on how I will be fleshing out my sections (especially question four, for you guys doing the examples of Jesus-followers) so we can keep our project tied together tightly.

I haven’t gotten to do a great deal of thinking about question three, but I think my answer will follow something like this:

Why ought Jesus-followers be involved?

*God has always cared about economic issues. I will quickly survey some of God’s actions and saying with Israel throughout her history. I will probably draw attention to certain specific issues (such as the gap between rich and poor, taking care of those who have nothing, etc.) and specific epochs within Israel’s history (the prophets).

*Jesus talked about money a great deal. While it is probably an overstatement to say that he talked about money more than anything else (as some people do), his idea of the kingdom clearly included economic dimensions. I may point to a few key passages/events from the life of Jesus, but it shouldn’t be too difficult to make this point clearly and quickly.

Or

*Jesus places economic demands on our lives. I don’t know exactly how this one will flow in relation to the last one. I will probably embed this in the others, but I haven’t yet so I went ahead and made it its own point. The bottom line is that it is impossible to confess Jesus as King and not have that affect the way we handle our financial resources.

*The NT church developed distinct economic policies and practices. This will also involve a quick of survey of some key passages, and I will also highlight a few key practices (which will come up again in the next question. To name just a few, special care was offered to those who couldn’t provide for themselves, economic sharing was commonplace, everyone was expected to work in order to contribute to the needs of the community, etc.

*Money is an unavoidable aspect of life in our world. In a time when “money makes the world go round,” it would simply be impossible to ignore economic issues. We have to buy, sell, shop, save, and so on, so as followers of Jesus it is our responsibility to do so in a way that honors him.

There’s that for now. As far as question four (micro level) is concerned, I will be addressing how individuals, families, and “small groups” can engage in certain economic practices that will embody faithfulness to the gospel. I know that I will talk about economic sharing on some level, and also about general spending habits, ways to fight consumerism, rethinking savings and retirement, embodying generosity, doing business with kingdom-oriented aims and goals, etc. I know that there are great examples of people practicing economic sharing, and on the last one I think about the Campolo student projects that Justin talked about.

Anyhow, there is that for now. Let me know what you guys think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home